25-pdr QF gun and original 3BAM crest.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Les Amis de la Montagne, Feb 21, 2013

Thursday night, Feb 21st, 2013 was the first event I photographed for 3BAM that sort of reminded me of my days in the 2nd Field Regiment, (1982-1991), chiefly because it was cold, dark,and everyone except me was dressed as they might have been on a wintex. 3BAM provided a starting gun for an annual snowshoe race on Mount Royal and was invited for food, drinks and entertainment in the chalet on the summit afterwards. The race itself started near Smith House, and two youngsters selected by the organizers were to fire the two starting shots.  Unfortunately, just like in my old army days, things didn't go quite according to plan....

The first young gunner seems to have frozen up at the moment of truth and seemed from where I was standing to be unable to find the firing ever.  WO (ret) Michel Lepage  eventually had to fire the gun as seen here. Not our best moment, but something was learned along the way. The second youngster managed to get his hand in the right place, but needed a couple of tries before he could pull the firing lever back with enough force to fire the gun.

One thing I kind of like about the 3BAM events, is that they tend to provide me with challenging shooting situations that help sharpen my skills at event photography in sometimes difficult environments. Those who know my work already know that I'm usually shooting under far more controlled circumstances. with these guys however, everything is uncontrolled most of the time. Most shoots take place outdoors. The weather often sucks or the light is too harsh and filled with contrast, or there isn't enough of it, or there are too many different coloured light sources getting into the frame. Countless civilians run around either getting into the shot when I don't want them there or coming dangerously close to knocking over some piece of expensive photo equipment. Gear has to be supervised, and the unexpected or unplanned often happens.  So despite my very considerable experience and preparation for each shoot, I usually walk away from each event with more knowledge and a better understanding of potential problems than I did when I unpacked my camera at the beginning of the shoot.


After firing, the crew packed up and headed back to the armoury to wipe down the gun and store the equipment, and then it was back to the chalet for food and drinks. Not having had the chance to eat supper, I think most of us were famished when we eventually got there. The food seems to have been chiefly a buffet of traditional and perhaps not-so-traditional Quebecois dishes, served with ice-cider or imported beer. Unfortunately, the best of the imported beer, the Stella Artois, beer of my Belgian ancestors, was predictably the the first to run out, leaving only lesser lagers and ales for consumption. Still...I managed to get three of them down before the good stuff ran out.  I have to admit that I was so hungry, that I ate and drank too fast and gave myself a bit of a tummy-ache. Eating late was yet another thing that reminded me of going in the field in army days as did drinking a lot of beer at the end of the ex.


Whatever the occasion though, it's always a pleasure for me to spend time with 3BAM, to be among fellow gunners, and people who volunteer their time and skills to making this little operation work. From what I've observed thus far, 3BAM's participation in any event, is always deeply appreciated by the organizers and 3BAM never fails to make a lasting impression. Aside from the occasional free meal, the only reward anyone gets is the one that is the pleasure of serving and of doing a good deed and a good job.


Ubique!

Gary Menten,
Photographer